Here you will find news, views, events and information relating to real-estate in Spain.

Home Sales Increased in August

Home sales up in August
Home sales up in August

More than 44,000 homes were sold in August

The total number of properties transferred in the property registers in August was 156,893. This represents 7.8% more than in the same month last year.

88.7% of purchases in August related to urban property and 11.3% were rural. In the case of urban properties, 58.5% were home purchases, amounting to 44,637 properties. On the monthly variation, this represents a fall of -2.8%.

The number of rural property sales decreased by 1.6% in August, on the annual rate. The number of urban property sales increased by 8.4%. Within urban properties, home sales recorded an annual increase of 7.4%, continuing the upward trend we have seen as the property market stabilises.

18.3% of homes sold in August were new build, while the other 81.7% were resale properties, according to data from the INE.

The number of operations on new homes increased by 9.6% (8,175 sales). The number of used home sales increased by 6.9% (36,462), with respect to August 2017.

Results by Autonomous Communities

In August, the total number of transferred properties registered in the registers per 100,000 inhabitants reached its highest values in La Rioja (663), Castilla y León (577) and Castilla-La Mancha (562).

The Canary Islands (22.2%), Murcia (21.0%) and Madrid (12.1%) registered the highest annual variations in property sales, in August. On the other hand, Comunidad Foral de Navarra (-16.0%), Aragón (-1.2%) and Cantabria (0.3%) have the lowest annual rates.

Looking at sales of homes, the communities with the highest number of transactions per 100,000 inhabitants are Valencia (168), Andalusia (139) and Navarra (134).

The communities with the highest annual increases in the number of home sales in August are Navarra (37.3%), Murcia and Asturias (both with 23.4%).

On the other hand, the Balearic Islands (-11.2%), Cataluña (-3.2%) and La Rioja (3.4%) registered the lowest annual variation rates in August.