Here you will find news, views, events and information relating to real-estate in Spain.

Sales of New Homes Increased in January

Sales of New Homes Increased in January
Sales of New Homes Increased in January

Sales of new homes increased by 11.2%

The total number of property sales/purchases in the property registers in January was 198,298, 10.6% more than in the same month of 2018, according to data from the INE.

85.7% of purchases registered in January correspond to urban property, and 14.3% rural. In the case of urban properties, 56.5% were home sales.

The number of rural property sales increased by 2% in January, while urban property sales increased 3.8%. Within urban, home sales recorded a decrease of 0.2%.

19.4% of homes purchased in January were new, with the remaining 80.6% being second-hand properties.

The number of new homes sold increased by 11.2%. Meanwhile, the number of used properties sold decreased by 2.6%, when compared to January 2018.

Results by Autonomous Community

In January, the total number of transferred properties in the registers per 100,000 inhabitants reached its highest values in La Rioja (1,083), Castilla-La Mancha (747) and Castilla y León (703).

La Rioja (30.2%), Murcia (27.2%) and Cataluña (26.6%) recorded the highest annual variation rates.

At the other end of the table, Cantabria (-11.8%), Asturias (-10.1%) and Aragón (-4.8%) have the lowest annual variations.

Looking only at the sale of housing, the communities with the highest number of transmissions per 100,000 inhabitants are Valencia (185), La Rioja (154) and the Balearic Islands (151).

The communities with the highest annual variations in the number of home sales in January are Extremadura (36.9%), Galicia (17.5%) and Aragón (16.9%).

Meanwhile, the Canary Islands (-22.4%), Asturias (-18.0%) and the Balearic Islands (-13.7%) registered the lowest annual variation rates in January.

In Andalucia, there were 8,939 home sales in January, representing a fall of -1,6%.