Here you will find news, views, events and information relating to real-estate in Spain.

Property Sales Slowed in March

Sales of new property fell 4.6% in March
Sales of new property fell 4.6% in March

Sales of new property fell 4.6% in March

The number of property transfers registered in the property registers in March was 157,047. This represents a decrease of 7.8% when compared to March in 2017.

Of those transfers, 81,303 were property sales, an annual decrease of 5.4%. 84.8% of those property sales were urban properties, with the remaining 15.2% being rural. In the case of urban properties, 57.4% were home purchases, according to the latest data from the INE.

The number of rural property purchases decreased by 9.9% in March, on the annual rate. The number of urban sales fell by 4.5%. Within urban property, the purchase of homes recorded an annual decrease of 3.1%.

17.8% of homes sold in March were new, leaving 82.2% as used properties. Sales of new property fell by 4.6%, while sales of second-hand property fell by 2.8%, with respect to March 2017.

Autonomous Communities

In March, the total number of transferred properties registered in the property registers per 100,000 inhabitants reached its highest values in Castilla y León (666), Aragón (644) and La Rioja (593).

All 17 of Spain’s autonomous communities recorded negative annual variations in March. Castilla-La Mancha (-2.4%), Andalusia (-4.0%) and Catalonia (-4.9%) recorded the lowest decreases. The largest falls were seen in La Rioja (-28.4%), Comunidad Foral de Navarra (-17.8%) and País Vasco (-14.9%).

Looking only at home sales, the communities with the highest number of transactions per 100,000 inhabitants were Comunitat Valenciana (151), Illes Balears (131) and Cataluña (116).

The communities to register the highest annual increases in the number of home sales in March were Aragón (7.7%), Región de Murcia (6.4%) and Castilla-La Mancha (5.0%). The worst annual variations were seen in Cantabria (-19.7%), La Rioja (-13.7%) and Castilla y León (-11.6%).