According to the latest figures from the INE, there were 69,524 property sales in December, an annual increase of 7.2%.
85.2% of the properties purchased in December were urban properties, while 14.8% were rural. In the case of urban properties, 57.1% were home purchases.
The number of rural property sales increased by 6.4% in December, on the annual rate. Urban property sales reflected an annual increase of 7.4%. Within the urban sales, buying and selling of houses registered an annual increase of 3.8%.
18.2% of the home sales recorded in December were new properties, while the remaining 81.8% were second-hand. New home sales increased by 6.5%, while the sale of second-hand properties increased by 3.2%, when compared to December 2017.
Results by Autonomous Community
In December, the total number of transferred properties registered in the property registers per 100,000 inhabitants reached its highest values in La Rioja (568), Castilla y León (549) and Castilla-La Mancha (502).
Catalonia and the Region of Murcia (both with 15.3%) and Andalusia (13.3%) recorded the highest annual variation rates.
On the other hand, the Balearic Islands (-13.2%), Navarra (-8.4%) and Aragón (-4.8%) had the lowest annual rates.
Looking only at the sale of registered homes, the communities with the highest number of transactions per 100,000 inhabitants are Valencia (131), the Balearic Islands (109) and Cantabria (108).
The highest annual increases in the number of home sales were in Murcia (22.6%), Cantabria (19.0%) and La Rioja (18.6%).
Meanwhile, the Canary Islands (-14.8%), Navarra (-10.8%) and the Principality of Asturias (-8.4%) registered the lowest annual variation rates in December.
During the year there were 1,025,039 property sales in Spain, an annual increase of 9.2%. 86.4% of those properties sold were urban with the remaining 13.6% being rural properties. In the case of urban properties, 58.1% were home sales.
Purchases of rural properties increased by 3.9%, while there was a 10.1% increase in the number of urban property sales. Within urban sales, home purchases increased 10%.
18% of the homes sold in 2018 were new build properties, with the other 82% being second-hand. The number of new property sales increased by 11.1% year-on-year. The number of used property sales increased by 9.9% with respect to 2017.
The number of property transfers per 100,000 inhabitants reached its highest levels in 2018 in La Rioja (8,616), Castilla y León (7,798) and Aragón (7,348).
Murcia (18.9%), Andalucía (15.6%) and Valencia (13.5%) registered the highest variation rates in 2018. Navarra (-1.7%), Aragón (1.8%) and the Balearic Islands (2.2%) presented the lowest annual rates.
Looking only at home sales, the communities with the highest number of transmissions per 100,000 inhabitants in 2018 were Valencia (2,010), the Balearic Islands (1,641) and Andalucía (1,537).
The greatest annual increases in the number of home sales in 2018 were in Murcia (24.3%), La Rioja (18.9%) and Castilla-La Mancha (18.1%). Meanwhile, the Balearic Islands (-2.9%), Cataluña and the Canary Islands (both with 4.0%) registered the lowest annual variation rates.
¹ in autonomous communities per 100,000 inhabitants.